[Medical Human Story – Episode 73]-Part III: At the Edge Between Life and Death—One MRI Changed Everything
[MHS: Medical Human Story]-Episode 73
Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 & Epilogue
Part III: At the Edge Between Life and Death—One MRI Changed Everything
5:37 A.M.
The quietest hour in a
hospital is often the most dangerous.
Not even footsteps echoed
through the corridors.
A faint glow of dawn was
beginning to spread beyond the intensive care unit windows,
yet inside the patient's room,
The tension remained palpable.
I had hardly left my chair
throughout the night.
On the monitor,
her blood pressure was slowly
falling.
198...
185...
174...
162...
The numbers were becoming more
stable.
But physicians never place
their faith in numbers alone.
What mattered most to us
was her brain.
And whether
it was beginning to recover.
Another MRI
"The follow-up MRI is
ready."
The resident spoke softly.
I headed toward the MRI suite.
Today's examination was far
more than a routine follow-up.
These images
might determine the course of
the rest of her life.
The monitor illuminated.
FLAIR.
T2-weighted imaging.
DWI.
ADC.
GRE.
Hundreds of images appeared
one after another.
I did my best to remain calm.
Yet
my heartbeat quickened with
every series.
[Insert Figure]
"The Edema Is
Receding."
I magnified the images.
On the initial MRI,
the hyperintense abnormalities
had occupied nearly the entire occipital lobes.
Today,
they were unmistakably
smaller.
The same was true of the
parietal lobes.
The vasogenic edema,
which had spread throughout
the subcortical white matter,
was gradually disappearing.
I quietly exhaled.
"...Excellent."
"...She's truly improving."
The residents exchanged
relieved smiles.
But
I had not yet reached the
final sequence.
GRE.
Had the hemorrhage remained
stable?
Had it enlarged?
Or perhaps...
GRE Never Lies
The images appeared.
Everyone fixed their eyes on
the monitor.
Silence.
Then,
The neurologist spoke first.
"It hasn't
progressed."
The hemorrhage had not
enlarged.
There was no evidence of new
bleeding.
At that moment,
everyone in the conference
room
released the same quiet breath
of relief.
Medicine
is not the science of creating
miracles.
It is the science
of allowing miracles to happen.
Because hemorrhagic complications are associated with poorer outcomes in Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome (PRES), serial evaluation with GRE or Susceptibility-Weighted Imaging (SWI) is essential. Careful assessment of hemorrhage progression and cerebral microbleeds plays a pivotal role in guiding ongoing treatment decisions.
[Medical Insight]
The Patient Smiled for the
First Time
That afternoon,
I opened the door to her room.
Ms. Yoon-Hee Kim
was quietly looking out the
window.
"...The flowers..."
"...are beautiful
today."
I smiled.
Only yesterday,
she could not remember where
she was.
Today,
she noticed the blossoms.
"How is your memory?"
She paused for a moment.
"...I don't remember
much..."
"...about
yesterday."
"But..."
"...I do remember my
husband crying."
From the back of the room,
her husband laughed.
"Let's forget about
that."
"...You're embarrassing
me."
For the first time,
laughter filled the hospital
room.
That laughter
was more powerful
than any medicine we could
prescribe.
A Daughter's Question
Her daughter approached me.
"Professor..."
"...Will my mother be
able to live the way she used to?"
I looked out toward the window.
Cherry blossoms
continued to drift gently to
the ground.
"I believe she has an
excellent chance."
"But..."
"...what happens from now
on is even more important."
"Her blood pressure must
be carefully controlled."
"She will need regular
follow-up MRI examinations."
"And above all..."
"...she must never ignore
the warning signs her body gives her."
Patients with Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome (PRES) generally have an excellent prognosis when the condition is diagnosed early, and blood pressure is appropriately managed. However, the presence of intracranial hemorrhage, extensive cerebral edema, or prolonged seizures significantly increases the risk of permanent neurological sequelae.
[Insert Figure]
Why I Became a Doctor
As I left the hospital,
an old memory resurfaced.
My first year as a resident.
I had once failed a patient.
Back then,
even the name Posterior
Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome
was unfamiliar to me.
I mistook occipital vasogenic
edema
for an ordinary ischemic
stroke.
The patient
never recovered.
From that day forward,
I made a promise to myself.
"Never again."
Perhaps
meeting Ms. Yoon-Hee Kim today
was not merely a coincidence.
A failure from my past
had helped save a life in the
present.
A Single Image Can Save a Life
Many people think
that CT and MRI
are simply diagnostic tests.
But medical images
are a language
that tells the story of a
patient's future.
A subtle occipital hypodensity
on CT.
The bright vasogenic edema on
FLAIR.
The absence of diffusion
restriction on DWI.
The tiny hemorrhage visible on
GRE.
Together,
they formed a single
diagnosis.
Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy
Syndrome (PRES).
And that one diagnosis
changed the course of an
entire life.
[Medical Insight]
[Medical Recommendation]
Next Chapter ☞ Part IV: The Road Home-Where Life Begins Again

Comments
Post a Comment